Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Military Boxes--Jeffie Doll


I realize deployment is different for everyone.  Many times those left behind have support systems on base or friends who understand from experience what they are going through. 

This was not the case for me.  My boyfriend lived on base, but worked in a small office with much older staff.  We met through dancing classes and have a great group of friends outside of base (not military affiliated), so there is no one I know who has someone else on deployment to share stories with.  

I have watched many of the "military" related shows while he has been gone, because it feels like the characters understand better what it's like.

The first few months were really hard, with limited communication and a sense of loneliness.  I stumbled across this website that makes military themed dolls https://www.daddydolls.com/.  I ordered one of my boyfriend and started taking it everywhere I went.  I would capture images and then put books together about what "we" were doing.  This let him be at every big event (birthdays, trips, holidays) and still feel a part of it.  He would comment how nice it was to know he was not being forgotten.  I have gotten so many stares when I pull him out, but does it really matter?

For our anniversary in March, I made one of myself and sent it over.  That way I will be with him for all of the big events (birthdays, trips, holidays) and he won't be alone celebrating.  

May not be for everyone, but it has helped us to feel connected!








From the color run my family did (so he didn't get dirty).
PIN IT BELOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment